Saturday, October 3, 2009

Harpoon Brewery Octoberfest

I snacked on some tortilla chips while I got ready to head to Harpoon. It always makes me laugh that normally I wear my nicest clothes when I'm getting ready to go out. But when I get ready for any Harpoon Festival, I throw on my crappier stuff. There's no way to avoid getting splashed with beer and I don't want to risk ruining anything.

We met Mark and Maggie, and the four of us shared a cab to the Brewery.

Using my Friends of Harpoon card, I got to skip the line so I had my wristband and picked up my souvenir cup in no time.

Happy Octoberfest 2009!

The main tent and most of the outdoor space was jam packed. We pushed our way through the crowds. No one was standing in front of the German band so we moved in and spread out. It was a great time dancing to the Ooompah music.

I didn't eat a real dinner so I had an Italian sausage with peppers and onions. I only ate half of the sausage before throwing it out and finishing the bun and the vegetables.

I was cold, and Jared was Mr. Nice Guy and let me wear his jacket.

We made a cultural shift and went to Pho Republique after Octoberfest ended. The four of us split a bottle of Dreamy Clouds sake. I've tried this before and really liked it. The sake has a chewy texture and a light taste.

We split a Pu Pu Platter. I don't eat any seafood so my choices were really limited. I had one chicken potsticker, one tofu and edamame potsticker, and a rib. It was delicious and not too filling.

Miles had SO much energy when we got home. He was running and jumping and biting, one of his favorite things to do. It took a while to calm him down and I was totally ready for bed...and no alarm in the morning cuz it's the weekend.

I decided to make a fruit smoothie for breakfast.

Today's ingredients included:
  • 1 cup of frozen berries
  • Frozen banana
  • Apple (cored)
  • Black raspberry yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon of blueberry flax seed
  • 2 ice cubes
As I previously mentioned, I am not a seafood fan. Because of the lack of fish in my diet, I miss out on the benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. I'm always interested in finding non-seafood ways to incorporate it into my meals.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids are said to help prevent 2 types of strokes, breast, colon, & prostate cancer, depression & anxiety, and cardiovascular disease. It can also benefit immune function and brain activity. I am not a registered dietitian or a nutritionist, but Omega-3s seem like a good idea to me.

This smoothie was amazing! The fruit flavors blended together perfectly. The texture wasn't too thick and I drank the whole thing within a few minutes. I couldn't resist!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I can hear the oompa music in my head hahaha! I wish I had gone this year.

    A smoothie is a great way to get in nutrients. I don't eat a lot of meat so I should start using smoothies to get extra iron. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO FUNNY! I was just telling my husband today about why I am incorporating more milled flax into my diet! I can't eat seafood so flax is a great alternative:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! I found your blog through Hangry Pants - I love the Harpoonfest! I went on the brewery tour for the first time in the spring and it was great. I loved how they let you have pretty much unlimited samples :)

    My parents have Welsh Corgis too! They've had five since I was in college because they know a breeder/show dog woman who sends them the older dogs so they can have a nice place to live once they're "retired" from the business. They are seriously the funniest things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biggirleats:
    I've been on the Harpoon Brewery tour before and we spent most of the time trying to drink as many samples as possible. I even mixed the cider with the Winter Warmer to make an apple pie combination. It was SO good!

    That's so awesome that your family has corgis. Miles is my first but I've fallen in love with the breed. Corgis have the most unique personalities.

    I always say that Miles is Pinocchio because he wishes he could be a real boy. Miles thinks he's a human...I've even been able to take him shopping at a few stores on Newbury Street.

    ReplyDelete